Tuesday, August 16, 2011

Gender gender gender

Oh my god... I just want to know what this baby is!

Pregnancy is a game of waiting!  You wait to ovulate, then you wait to test, then you wait for an ultrasound, then you wait to see/hear the heartbeat... and now we wait to see if we are having a boy or a girl.

My husband was convinced it was a boy from the get go.  But then we saw the baby on the ultrasound at 13 weeks and now he is convinced it is a girl.  I felt in my heart of hearts it was a girl, but then I have days where I am sure it's a boy. 

So, since I suck at waiting... I've taken a couple of gender tests at home!

The first:  The baking soda test
The background:  You add some urine to a teaspoon of baking soda.  If it fizzles, it's a boy, if no fizzle, you have yourself a girl.  The logic behind this is that a boy makes your urine more acidic and thus more fizzly.
My results: Um...  well...  I wasn't sure if I was doing it right.  I added some urine to baking soda in a glass and it bubbled... but the bubbles were only the trapped air in the baking soda making their way to the top.  But no fizzling sound to report.  I wasn't sure if I had done it right, or was reading it right, so I did a seperate experiment to hear what fizzling should sound like.   I added vinegar to baking soda and it fizzled like a mofo.  So based on the fizzle soda test :  A Girl

The second test: The gender maker.  You can order yours from their website: http://www.gendermaker.com/
The background: You add your urine to a home pregnancy test looking thing and it turns conveniently pink for girl and blue for boy.  I've read the "science" behind the test and it doesn't sound too complex.  But only $25 and worth a shot
My results: See for yourself:
Definite pink result

The third test: The heartbeat indicator
Background: If your baby's heartbeat is 140 or under you are having a boy, 141 or over, it's a girl
My results: Both ultrasounds (baby was uncooperative) indicated a heartbeat of 147 and 153, so girl.  In the midwife's office I had a heartbeat of 143, also a girl

So I'm three for three for the girl.  Only 27 days days until our gender determination ultrasound (but who's counting?!)

No comments:

Post a Comment